Blush Lake, Big Island Lake Wilderness Area, MI

Blush Lake, Big Island Lake Wilderness Area, MI
Blush Lake, Big Island Lake Wilderness Area, MI

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pike Spawning, Big Island Lake Wilderness Area

Pike Spawning, Blush Lake, Big Island Lake Wilderness Area, MI
I was going through some photos and found these taken a year or so back. I happened to be down along the edge of Blush Lake with a camera, and heard splashing. It was very early in the spring, and the ice was still partially on the lake. The splashing came and went, at first I thought it was the otters, but as I got closer I could see fins.
Pike Spawning, Blush Lake, Big Island Lake Wilderness Area

I tried to be still along the shore as they swam my way. What a surprise! I saw three good sized pike mating along the logs and brush. The birch tree in the water that they swam across is large, maybe 14" across, just to give some scale.
Large Pike, Blush Lake

I knew the lake had perch and some bluegill, but these were a something to see. There is an outlet across the lake which winds through some marshy ponds, called the "Neville Lakes", and then becomes Camp 83--which feeds down into the Indian River. It doesn't seem likely, because in some areas it is so shallow and partially blocked, but perhaps they swam in from the creek?

No comments:

Post a Comment